‘BOMBSHELL’ SOUNDTRACK FROM NBC HIT ‘SMASH’ TO BE RELEASED FEBRUARY 12
22-Song Cast Recording Of Complete ‘Bombshell’Musical Spans Seasons 1 and 2 of ‘SMASH’
New York, NY – January 8, 2012 – NBC and Columbia Records announced that the soundtrack for Bombshell, the musical within NBC’s Golden Globe-nominated series television hit “SMASH” (Tuesdays, 10-11pm ET), will be released on February 12. Bombshell is available now for pre-order.
Bombshell will contain 22 original songs that make up the Broadway-caliber cast recording of the musical, complete with liner notes detailing the plot of Bombshell. The soundtrack features stars Katherine McPhee (Karen), Megan Hilty (Ivy Lynn), and other cast members performing the original music created for the show’s musical-within-a-musical by Tony and Grammy award-winning duo Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman.
“SMASH” has been honored with Grammy, Emmy and Golden Globe nominations. The show returns for a second season on Tuesday, February 5 at 9pm ET with a special two-hour episode. The songs on the Bombshell soundtrack will span both seasons of “SMASH.”
NBC’s “SMASH” celebrates the beauty and heartbreak of the Broadway theater as it follows a cross-section of dreamers and schemers who all have one common desire – to be a “Smash.” Evolving from an idea of executive producer and multiple Emmy and Oscar winner Steven Spielberg (“ER,” “Schindler’s List”), the series unites the hit-making Broadway writing team of Julia Houston (Debra Messing, Emmy winner, “Will & Grace”) and Tom Levitt (Christian Borle, “Legally Blonde: The Musical”) with producer Eileen Rand (Anjelica Huston, Oscar winner, “Prizzi’s Honor”) to create a new musical based on the life of Marilyn Monroe, and seasoned chorus girl Ivy Lynn (Hilty, “9 to 5: The Musical”) vies with newcomer Karen Cartwright (McPhee, “American Idol”) for the role of a lifetime.
In Season 2, the “Bombshell” team is one step closer to achieving their Broadway dream. The Boston run was the success the team was hoping for, but they are all about to learn even a charmed show cannot avoid paying for sins of the past. Across the Brooklyn Bridge, Jimmy Collins (Jeremy Jordan) and Kyle Bishop (Andy Mientus) are toiling away on a rock musical of their own, which could either become “Bombshell’s” biggest rival, or yet one more Broadway false start. Guest stars in season two include Oscar, Golden Globe and Grammy winner (“American Idol,” “Dreamgirls”), Emmy winnerSean Hayes (“Will & Grace”), Jesse L. Martin (“Rent,” “Law & Order”), and Liza Minnelli (Tony, Oscar, Emmy, and Golden Globe winner.) In addition to Spielberg, the executive producers include Joshua Safran (“Gossip Girl”), Darryl Frank and Justin Falvey (“United States of Tara,” “The Borgias”), Craig Zadan and Neil Meron (“Chicago,” “Hairspray”), Marc Shaiman and Scott Wittman (“Hairspray,” “Catch Me If You Can”), Jim Chory (“Heroes,” “American Dreams”) and Theresa Rebeck (“Mauritius”). “Smash” is from Universal Television in association with DreamWorks Television.
01) “FOLLOW IN THEIR FOOTSTEPS” – Bernadette Peters & and Ensemble
02) “LET ME BE YOUR STAR” – Katharine McPhee & Megan Hilty
03) “SMASH!” – Megan Hilty & Katharine McPhee and Ensemble
04) “NEVER GIVE ALL THE HEART” – Katharine McPhee
05) “THE 20th CENTURY FOX MAMBO” – Katharine McPhee and Ensemble
06) “THE NATIONAL PASTIME” – Megan Hilty and Ensemble
07) “HISTORY IS MADE AT NIGHT” – Megan Hilty & Will Chase and Ensemble
08) “I NEVER MET A WOLF WHO DIDN’T LOVE TO HOWL” – Megan Hilty with Debra Messing, Nick Jonas, Christian Borle, Will Chase, Jaime Cepero, Phillip Spaeth and Ensemble
09) “MR. & MRS. SMITH” – Megan Hilty & Will Chase
10) “DON’T SAY YES UNTIL I FINISH TALKING” – Christian Borle and Ensemble
11) “ON LEXINGTON & 52nd STREET” – Will Chase
12) “CUT, PRINT…MOVING ON” – Katharine McPhee and Ensemble
13) “PUBLIC RELATIONS” – Katharine McPhee with Christian Borle and Ensemble
14) “DIG DEEP” – Uma Thurman with Henry Stram, Phillip Spaeth, Wesley Taylor and Ensemble
15) “SECOND HAND WHITE BABY GRAND” – Megan Hilty
16) “(THEY JUST KEEP) MOVING THE LINE” – Megan Hilty
17) “LET’S BE BAD” – Megan Hilty and Ensemble
18) “THE RIGHT REGRETS” – Debra Messing & Christian Borle
19) “(LET’S START) TOMORROW TONIGHT” – Leslie Odom, Jr. with Christian Borle, Debra Messing, Wesley Taylor, Savannah Wise and Ensemble
20) “OUR LITTLE SECRET” – Katharine McPhee
21) “HANG THE MOON” – Bernadette Peters & Megan Hilty
22) “DON’T FORGET ME” – Katharine McPhee
BONUS CD SONGS (TARGET EXCLUSIVE)
01) AN INTERVIEW WITH THE SONGWRITERS- Marc Shaiman & Scott Wittman
02) “SMASH!” Jane Krakowski
03) “NEVER GIVE ALL THE HEART”- Megan Hilty
04) “SECOND HAND WHITE BABY GRAND”- Christine Ebersole
The soundtrack is available now for pre-order at Amazon.com (http://smarturl.it/bombshellamzn) and iTunes (http://smarturl.it/bombshell) as well as www.nbcstore.com, and will be on sale February 12 wherever music is sold. There will also be a special edition available at Target with exclusive bonus content.
The “Smash” soundtrack deal was brokered by NBCUniversal Television Consumer Products Group.
For embeddable clips and full episodes from “Smash,” please visit NBC.com’s official show site: http://www.nbc.com/smash.
For artwork and a complete press kit from the show please visit the NBCUniversal Media Village website at http://www.nbcumv.com/mediavillage/.